Here is a recipe for Vegetable Spring Roll that is really a no-brainer. It easy and quick, and can be whipped up in no time. Most of the spring roll recipes require you to cook the stuffing. With this recipe you can conveniently skip that part. It is also one of those recipes that do not involve a huge list of ingredients.
I got the recipe for the vegetable spring roll from a friend of mine. I haven’t seen or talked to her in ages but whenever I make this spring roll I think of her. It is also one of those food items my girls love to chow down. The fact that it is entirely vegetarian does not bother them a bit and that in turn makes me one happy mom. Enjoy!
1/2 a head of medium cabbage (about 4 cups)
1 big carrot shredded (1 cup)
1 bunch of green onions
a packet of spring roll sheets/skin
2 tbsp of soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Chop the cabbage finely lengthwise. Wash it, set it aside to drain.
- In the meantime, grate the carrot and chop up the greens from the green onion.
- Once the cabbage is nice and dry combine it with the grated carrot and chopped green onions in a mixing bowl.
- Add soy sauce, salt, and mix all of them together.
- Place a spring roll sheet/skin on a clean cutting board or surface. Add a handful of the vegetable stuffing in the center.
- Fold the bottom part of the sheet over the stuffing and then cover with the other two sides and bring it to the center.
- Roll it until you reach the top part of the sheet.
- Apply some water along the top edge with your fingertips and roll off. Finish the rest of the rolls and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or a frying pan on high.
- Add 2 to 3 rolls at a time. Fry them until they are golden brown on both sides. Remove and drain them on a rack or paper towels.
- Serve it hot with dipping or hot sauce and Asian chilli and garlic paste.
- Sometime the vegetable stuffing ends up a bit wet. If that happens don’t worry, just squeeze out the excess liquid in the palm of your hand before placing it on the sheet/skin.
- The spring roll sheets/skins are available in most of the Asian stores.
- You can check the back of the spring roll skins packet for easy instructions on how to roll them.