I never knew of collard greens before I came to US. We did not have it in India and as such my mom never made it. It was when I was pregnant with “TEE”, my Obgyn recommended I include leafy vegetables in my diet. She suggested collard greens along with with kale and mustard greens. As I never had collard greens before, I did not know their flavor profile. In fact I did not even know how to cook them. It was a brand new culinary adventure for me and I was not really looking forward to it. So I came up with this recipe where I combined it with black eyed peas to make it palatable. My thought was if I did not like the greens I could pick and eat the peas and not starve myself and my unborn baby 🙂
Thankfully no one starved. My fear of collard greens disappeared the minute I tasted it. I have loved it and since then I have been making this recipe. My girls don’t enjoy them as much as I do, but they don’t have a choice. When I make it, they have to eat it. Enjoy!!
1 bunch of collard greens
1 cup of soaked and drained black eyed peas
1 large chopped onion
1 large chopped tomato
1 tsp mustard seeds
7-10 curry leaves
3 cloves of chopped garlic
2 small green chillies (optional)
1 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
2 tbsp oil
salt as per taste
- Cut off the largest part of the stems. Bunch up all the leaves together. Roll them up into a bundle and thinly slice the bundle into strips
- Wash the sliced greens in a large stock pot with lot of water. Repeat it twice. This will allow the dirt or sand to settle down at the bottom of the pot.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies. After they stop sputtering add garlic and onion.
- Saute the onion and garlic for around 2 minutes.
- Add coriander powder and turmeric and saute for few seconds.
- Finally add the greens, black eyed peas , tomato and water.
- Pressure cook it for around 15 to 20 minutes until done.
- Serve on a bed with hot rice.
- You can use canned black eyed peas, but drain away the liquid and rinse them.
- You can find coriander powder in Indian and other Asian stores. You can also find them in Walmart and ShopRite.