Like all my friends I will be partying tonight and welcoming 2012 with zest. For this occasion I have the perfect appetizer for all you party goers. I have christened it Spicy Masala Eggs and it is one of my all time favorite. It is almost along the lines of Deviled eggs, but very different. I am not sure if this recipe originated in Mangalore, but I do know that it is pretty much served in all the important events like engagement ceremonies, baby showers etc., in our Bunts community. As I don’t know the Tulu name for it, I am not going to attempt to spell it out here. The one thing I can assure you is that it is a trouble-free and quick recipe. Enjoy.
4 hard boiled eggs
1 tsp chili powder or paprika
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp of ghee (clarified butter) or regular butter
1/2″ piece of julienned ginger (optional)
- Combine chili powder, salt and water and mix them well in a mixing bowl.
- Add the hard boiled eggs into the bowl and make sure they are thoroughly coated with the spicy mix.
- In a non-stick or regular pan add ghee/butter and allow it to melt.
- Once it has melted add the eggs and all the spicy mix into the pan and saute it for few mins.
- As you saute, keep basting (use spoon) the eggs with this mixture, so that it forms a nice coating over them.
- Finally add the ginger strips and saute those too. Remember this step is optional.
- Take it off the heat and allow it to cool.
- While serving it remove all the ginger pieces.
- Serve it at room temperature either whole or cut into halves.
For the purpose of photography I have placed the eggs upside down. Don’t they look gorgeous?